Thursday, February 28, 2013

Interstitial Cystitis: Staying Active

I know it is tempting, my friends, but don't stop living just because you have a chronic illness like interstitial cystitis. Like altering ingredients in a recipe to meet the needs of your IC diet, if there is an activity you love, find a way to it, and if you can't do what you thought you loved, find an activity you can do.

I loved bike riding...loved the breeze in my hair, the speed....loved that my whole body had to be engaged to make that two-wheeled machine work. Then because if pelvic pain, bike riding started to hurt. I was sad. I tried everything to be able to still ride a bike. It took some mental gymnastics..... but now I walk. I told myself I love to walk. And I found that I actually did love to walk! I love to walk in the parks near us, in the mall, at Disney World, at the beach. I am even planning a walking vacation...(more on that later).

The point is, when you are diagnosed with a chronic illness like interstitial cystitis, you need to give yourself the opportunity to grieve what you have to give up, but don't forget that the last step in the stages of grief is "acceptance." And, acceptance doesn't mean you surrender.. Acceptance is the most active of the stages of grief. Acceptance means that you are becoming engaged again with your "new normal." Acceptance means you are living each day as fully as you can.

Unsure what acceptance looks like? Check out this video: It is so joyful........and keep watching to the end....you will be glad you did...Grandma Dorothy Flies Over the Rainbow.

For more information on the Stages of Grief visit: Interstitial Cystitis: Emotional Challenges of Chronic Illness

FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT IC and DIET SEE:
If you are a nurse, dietitian, or other nutrition professional, you can earn continuing education for reading Interstitial Cystitis: A Guide for Nutrition Educators and purchasing the accompanying workbook from Helm Publishing.

is, interstitial cystitis pain, interstitial cystitis treatment, Julie Beyer, urinary tract infection. INTERSTITIAL CYSTITIS ASSOCIATION INTERSTITIAL CYSTITIS NETWORK IC DIETITIAN IC DIET, IC BOOKS, BEST BOOKS FOR ic, WHAT CAN I EAT ON AN INTERSTITIAL CYSTITIS DIET Bladder pain, interstitial cystitis food list, interstitial cystitis diet, acid foods, alkaline diet,  IC PAIN, BLADDER PAIN, BEST INTERSTITIAL CYSTITIS BOOKS IC DIET CONSULTATIONS

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete